Saturday, September 24, 2005

BDSM, Polyamory, Security, Love, Choices, and What it all Looks Like...

There's apparently (well and obviously) been some anxiety among some who read here in the last days that what I've written indicates that I am insecure and, perhaps, less well loved or cared for than I ought to be within my family and my relationship than I ought to be, or than I deserve. I understand how it is entirely possible for people, looking in from outside, with limited ability to see the broad picture, and without much history, to take the heavy stuff that sometimes flows across the screen here and leap to conclusions that make absolute sense... Except that they really don't in this context. Because my life IS alternative, by choice, by design, and maybe by something bigger than any of that...

Those of you who have noted a tendency in me toward personal insecurity are not far off the mark. I'm strong and talented and bright and capable. I have a career of which I am extremely proud, and within which I feel remarkably accomplished. However I have a history that has left scars and it is possible to trigger abandonment issues in me without a whole lot of energy. That goes back a very long way...

I have a brother who is 16 months younger than me. He was born 3 months prematurely, in 1956, weighing 2 pounds-6 ounces. He was one very sick baby, and not expected to live. In fact, it was a wonder my mother survived his birth. Today, he stands well over 6' tall and weighs in at something over 200 lbs. In the beginning, though, he spent 6 months in the hospital. My beleaguerd parents were simply overwhelmed. They essentially handed me over to some neighbors so that they could spend their time with my brother. I understand that in intellectual terms -- it makes perfect sense to me from this distance. I don't think I was harmed or abused by that arrangement in any physical sense. However I do know that I am aware of how easy it is to be "sent away." My sense of having a place to belong is, to this day, very tenuous. It is simply not possible to talk rationally to that baby.

When I told that story to jewels, she commented that she was surprised that I would choose a life path that would so challenge that fear... I suppose that there are "safer" paths. The fact is that I tried the "secure" route of traditional marriage and family. It meant I lived a life that left me "dead" inside. The life I live today sometimes pushes me, sometimes challenges me, sometimes even scares the willies out of me -- not because of real threats, but because of imaginings that are built out of shadows. I choose to walk with those challenges rather than live a life that is numb and lifeless. My insecurities are earned and true. Like the other scars I've earned from being alive, they mean I'm human. I'm not ashamed of them. I have no intention of letting them keep me from living fully or loving fully. I'll be scared if that's what it takes. I believe that, when I'm really scared, there will be someone who loves me to hold me until the fear subsides.

Other people seem to think that maybe I'm not well loved, that I might even be abused within this relationship.

I think it is very hard to see BDSM practice described in graphic terms when that reaches a level where it may not be simply "fun" anymore. Many people play with BDSM for bedroom "spice." It has gotten to be quite stylish. That is not what we do.

Ours is a relationship that is about power exchange. There is a very high end SM component to that which is primarily about impact play. Other people engage in other kinds of SM play, but that is our primary mode. I am a masochist, but I am not the sort of masochist who tends to eroticize pain in a classic sense. I don't get much sexual pleasure from pain -- it doesn't make me cum, generally. I will crave it, sexually, if it doesn't happen in a fairly regular pattern, but it doesn't turn me on. What draws me is the loss of control that pain brings. I don't have to enjoy it for that to happen. Our play is at His pleasure. He defines the when, the where, the how. If I enjoy, then that is a bonus, but not His concern, or His responsibility. I understand that and I consent to that. I will struggle with it and I will sometimes fight it, even resent it. It is not easy to give up ever greater levels of personal power, especially when it is about things that go deep. However, it is what I came to ask for, expected when I came into this relationship, sought out here, wanted. It is different than D/s or DD in that way. And it is not abusive.

I do understand abuse. I am a card carrying feminist. Literally. I've advised many women on when and how to leave abusive relationships. Taken some out of just such relationships. I know the drill. I am not alone here either. I have a sister and a partner in T. When I am most uncertain, most shocked, most upset, she sees me, asks me, demands to know what's up. She'll take us to task and check it out. She'd never stand for anything that was over the line. But she is experienced in the lifestyle, too. She understands how different it is inside the life. It is not possible to apply vanilla standards to lifestyle realities. You can look at this but you have to be careful to not assume you know what it is you are looking at. We are different. I am different.

I am ferociously loved. Sometimes literally. And I love just as ferociously.

I chose. Once. Choosing, I laid my choices at His feet. There are no other options now. Where He takes me now, I will go. Easily if I can, or dragged by the hair. Sometimes the one, sometimes the other.

You will see the joy and elation of the one by times, and then, again, the sturm and drang of the other. If you find the unsettledness of that turmoil disturbing, there are more civilized, and probably sexier places to read.

swan

5 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swan....

I am leaving tomorrow very early for our FL home that was destroyed last year in the hurricaine...It will be a week before I can read your blog again....I am speechless and envious at your courage, and self knowledge...my best to you...

Karen

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Karen --
travel safely, best wishes on whatever faces you in Florida. Thank you for joining us here.

swan

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprised no. Amazed yes. It takes a very strong person to put themselves out on the line the way you do - to challenge everything you are. I know that is what your relationship with Tom and T does for you. And your job as a teacher too. There is nothing safe about the way you live your life. But anyone who spends time with you or talks with you can see that your life is the correct choice for you.

You call yourself messy and complain that you are somehow a bad slave. Ugh! You're in there on the front line with everything you do. I would think there was something wrong with you if you just accepted everything that was handed to you without any fuss at all.

I understand abandonment issues. Not like you do. Mine are different.

I got to see you (actually all of you) up close and personal. You are amazingly strong, no matter what you tell yourself. You are loved and cared for, and in turn pass that along to your students and even to me.

Everyone who reads your blog got to witness your well deserved meltdown. You allowed yourself to be vulnerable long enough for those who do not understand to pass judgement. I'm sorry for that. I didn't mean to be a part of anything that could make you hurt like that.

However, I am so glad you found your voice again and are showing the same strength that brought me to read your writings in the first place.

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

swan, you continually surprise me with the level of your insight.
I was orphaned wery early in life, not five years old, I've walked through life with a host of childhood shadows, you either live with them or you don't, you obviously have.
I couldn't live your life or indeed Tom's, however reading your blog and posts is teaching me things about human nature that I didn't know, believe me at 70 that's very welcome.
Being disturbed or agitated isn't always a bad thing, ie, in gold panning only by agitating the water does the gold rise to the top.
Your blog is a great resource, it gives me insights into those most wonderful of creatures my fellow human beings.
Thanks for a very interesting post.
Love and strength to you and your family.
Paul

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I'm a little overwhelmed and sincerely humbled by the responses here. Let me see if I can respond somehow to what has been added to this post --

bonorth commented: I am speechless and envious at your courage, and self knowledge...

I've been told, many times, that what I've done in choosing this path, is "courageous." The fact is that it has seemed to me there were only two choices: stay in my old life, married to a man who denigrated my sexual orientation, told me in words and by his every response to me, that I was sick and perverted, and left me feeling dirty and frustrated and utterly lost as a woman and a human person. Or take the risk to live the dream that I might have this possibility. Everyone I knew, with whom I shared even the tiniest inkling of what I was planning, told me I was crazy. No one gives up the "American Dream" to live as I do, but the dream was a nightmare for me. THIS is my dream... It is that self-knowledge that compels what looks like courage.

jewels commented: It takes a very strong person to put themselves out on the line the way you do - to challenge everything you are...There is nothing safe about the way you live your life. But anyone who spends time with you or talks with you can see that your life is the correct choice for you...Everyone who reads your blog got to witness your ... meltdown. You allowed yourself to be vulnerable...

One of the things that M/s does is expose the vulnerability. Part of the protective coloration that I've used my whole life as a defense against being "left" is to simply not NEED anyone. I've presented in the world as tough and brassy and hard as nails. I could handle any crisis and manage anything that needed managing and do it myself, thank you very much. The fact that the husband of all those years wasn't the most assertive or capable fellow didn't really matter, because I didn't really need him all that much anyway. It was the wall I'd put up to keep from ever being hurt and it worked. The problem is, if no one can touch you, they can't hold you or love you either. Living on the line, as I've chosen to do, gets me hurt. By choice and by design. I am hurt these days. Sometimes quite sincerely. Physically, and yes, sometimes emotionally. Sometimes that hurt is intentional, and sometimes it is a side effect of the life I have chosen to live. The walls are all down and life is there up close and personal. Hurt is part of the deal. I don't have any control of that and that is, for me, an awfully important lesson to learn.

searabbit commented: I see here someone living at the level of her words... for real... Yes, you are choosing... and I know you will succeed... I don't understand it all... and I wouldn't take your path (too hard for me...

All the words are real, searabbit. The happy ones and the scary ones and the sad ones and the silly ones. You know that story. I've seen it when you write, too. It isn't about success or failure. It is about living as honestly as one can. My path is mine, as yours is yours. You needn't compare the two. Yours seems awfully hard somedays. I don't know that I could be as strong as you are and keep writing and reaching out as openly as you do. Thank you for your continued gentleness and friendship.

Paul commented: I've walked through life with a host of childhood shadows, you either live with them or you don't...Being disturbed or agitated isn't always a bad thing, ie, in gold panning only by agitating the water does the gold rise to the top...

What a fabulous analogy!!! Not sure that I'm anywhere close to gold, but I like the image. Perhaps, I'll try to aspire to goldeness. As always, your words offer comfort and some sort of settled feeling.

temptation commented: We all get into situations where we cannont accuratly predict the outcome. Just because the outcome is not what we would have liked, does not mean that it is all bad. I have found that often in life, when things occur that make us examine ourselves on a deeper level, the result is better clarity about our own beliefs and desires...

This, is exactly what we are doing. Examining, contemplating, talking, learning. What we know in theory is different than what we find in practice. That does not make the theory wrong. It means that life is complex and that people are multi-faceted creatures. Relationships are not simply a matter of "just add water and stir." We were three and two. Now we are potentially becoming five. Do the math. Five is a whole bunch of interrelatedness. It won't happen overnight or even over a weekend. There will be feelings and dynamics to work out. Jealousies and insecurities will intermingle with elation and excitement and friendship and joy. It is a heady stew.

We will taste and season and stir and partake as we go along.

swan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home