Thursday, September 22, 2005

Slave Thoughts

Along with all the rest of the emotion that is being stirred up these last days, I've been doing some heavy thinking. Part of that is because the reactions to these events have polarized people's reactions, causing them to judge what has happened through filters that, to a very large degree, discount the foundational fact that I live as a consensual slave. Those are not, for us, simply words. They define a reality that runs deep, and, while we do not practice elaborate rituals and protocols for the most part, we do live that reality at the core of our relationship. It is who we are with one another.

It is easy to equate consensual slavery with something fictionalized and sort of sexy in a kinky sense. Always at Master's command for a quick spanking and a fuck or whatever. I think it might have been Gabriel from Once Bitten who called it "Butt Sex and Blow Jobs" or some such... If it were that simple, all the cyber wannabes who lay claim to the Master/slave title would go out and buy themselves a collar and a bit of leather or a chain or a leash and life would be good.

Actual power exchange gets a whole lot more complicated when it comes down to taking away true control from one intelligent and multi-faceted and determined human being by another. Especially when you get to the layers of control that actually matter and that mean something.

I remember fantasizing about having control taken from me when I was yet pre-adolescent. All my most erotic dreams have focused in that direction in some way. As have all my most potent fears and terrors. When I first began to explore power exchange in earnest, reading and searching on line, I found, very quickly, that the places where I felt I would likely feel myself pushing boundaries were areas where I would have large bits of personal control pulled away from me. Not SM play... Control...

Slavery goes to that place.

It is common, in the lifestyle, for one to hear how a Master ought to treasure and honor a slave. Anonymous commented to that effect recently here, noting that I am mistreated and abused rather than treasured as I ought to be. In reality, I am both treasured and enslaved. There are times when I soar at His pleasure. However, there are times when He nails me with the flaws and failings He sees in my character, development and service; when He notes the places where I fail to bend to His will as I ought. He is not slow to make it clear that such flaws and failings are inappropriate and unacceptable. I am His, and He will have from me my best -- not my best effort -- my best.

This passage has been a stretch. Promises to be a stretch. I am finding I am lacking in trust. It is shocking to me. I ought to be better. I'm not. But I will be. I am sure. I will grow. I ought to be more secure. I'm not but I will be. I ought to be more generous and more open. I will learn. Our family is His to shape as He sees fit. He will steer us well. I need to see His vision.

Slavery can be joyous, sexy, thrilling. For me, it is often easy and light and fun. We are a well matched pair and the yoke I wear is usually light. But I am a slave and I do have a Master who owns me. When He calls me to obey, it is His right to do so, and there is no question as to the how or why at that point. I do not judge that. The filters that apply to other relationships do not apply to ours. It is a difficult distinction in some ways. I may quiver and I do struggle. It is what I choose. Ultimately, it is what I am and how I am best.

swan

7 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Well said swan, well said. *hugs*

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am humbled....

bonorth

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My beautiful swan, I love you so much and appreciate beyond measure your struggling to accomodate my choices and embracing my/our new loves. I know how difficult this has been for you and for t. I am so proud of how you are accomodating, and mostly of how your belonging to me has enabled us to go forward together with our renewed lives.

I am blessed to have you as mine and your sister t as my submissive wife.

Thank you for returning the brightness to your smile and for learning to expand our love.

Mine always and all ways:)

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue,

Whether one agrees with you or not one can not fail to admire the elegance of your rationalisations or the ardour of your commitment.

Whether one thinks consensual slavery, as you choose to practise it, is a good or bad thing is totally irrelevant.

Anyone following these posts has been offered a front row seat to some of the problems of a polly situation involving one master, or dominant, and two or more slaves. That, as I see it, would be a walk in the park compared to the situation where two or more dominants share total authority over a “brace” of slaves that they hold in common.

At the risk of unleashing a torrent of anti-Christian rhetoric, I think that Christ had it right when he assured His following that no man could serve two masters.

I think I will shut up now.

Jack

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said swan, I understand a little better now.
Hugs.
Paul.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Sue said...

For all the words of support, encouragement, amazement, tolerance, and forebearance -- thank you. I am working my way through the soupy emotional stuff that all this has stirred up. Master commanded the writing, determined that it would help. He was, as usual, right. Thank you, Sir. I am steadier. I am aware that there are still beasties lurking in the corners -- things that all of this has triggered, that I need to grab by the tail and drag out into the daylight and run off into the wilderness somehow. I'll likely get to them here shortly. I know some of that now in a way that I didn't a week and a half ago -- bogeys that aren't as scarey now that I can actually see them and know what their names are.

I apologize to those of you who have been rocked by the pure nakedness of all of this. One of the risks of power exchange is that it sometimes takes one down to the core of things. We've stepped things up fairly intensely with this piece -- all around. And laid a number of things bare. If you were not bargaining for the ferocity of all of this then please forgive our failure to warn you in advance.

One of the characteristics of life in our family is that feelings get dealt with out in the open, straightforwardly and without much gloss or varnish. We tend to not keep much under wraps. Master sees to it that secrets don't stay secret. I think that keeps us all healthy with one another, although it can be a challenge if one is accustomed to a degree of emotional privacy. This blog exists because of His insistence on that sort of emotional disclosure and openess. When it became clear to Him that I was holding much of what was going on with me inside, and that I'd simply stopped writing, He insisted I write it here. I squirmed at the very thought, knowing that what I was feeling was dark and painful and likely to be disturbing to many. No matter. Write!

Many have found the rawness of it difficult, even as, in my experience, many sometimes find it difficult and disturbing to watch us "play." I have, honestly, been hurt and broken. Have sincerely struggled and fallen far short of what I would have aspired to in a perfect BDSM poly world. And I've done it for anyone who cared to watch to see. For those who are into labeling folks with Scarlet Letters, as jewels puts it, I guess I was the first verse of that song... Oh well.

There is much in the spiritual learning that I fall back on that teaches about the value of "openings." In the Quaker tradition it is common to speak of guidance from the spirit as "way opening." In that context, the thinking is that a correct path shouldn't be hard to follow because the way will simply open ahead of the person. If the path is seeming terribly difficult, then perhaps it isn't the right way, and it might be prudent to wait for the way to open. In the best southwest native American pottery, you will find breaks left in the painted patterns. These are "spirit breaks," left so that the spirit can enter and leave the piece freely. It is thought that without such an imperfection in the pattern, the piece will literally be broken by the power of the spirit energy moving in and out. Imperfections aren't necessarily a bad thing -- only and opening for the energy of the spirit. Even in ancient Hebrew creation scripture, there is the idea that God made space for the creation by inhaling. It was that opening left by the inspiration that made room for everything else to exist.

I have felt all of that these last few weeks -- opened, broken, left with spaces I didn't know about. Creation happens in the open, broken, new, raw spaces.

Naked, bloody, screaming. Something is being birthed here. Stars, clouds of glory, full moons, herons, portents abounding...

swan

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Lady Janon said...

Doesn't Gabby (www.gabbyhey.blogspot.com) get the blow jobs and butt sex credit?

Great line, either way!

Raw is how we like it over here--we learn and grow from your expieriences, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home