Saturday, September 03, 2005

About my Living Room

If you've read here from the beginning, you know that blogging wasn't my idea. I blog because Master believed writing would be good for me, and that writing where others would read what I would write would be better. It wasn't something I was eager to do or especially happy about in the beginning.

For the longest time, I struggled with how to write what it is that I write here at "The Swan's Heart." I couldn't define what the purpose was. Was this supposed to be a diary that was for my own internal clarity, or was I to write to somehow communicate more effectively with Master, or was I to write something for some group of nameless, faceless strangers that would read whatever wisdom I'd impart?

It didn't matter, He told me. Just write. So I've written. About whatever was going on in my life, our lives, my head, my heart.

Blogs, I think, become many things depending on who writes them. They serve many purposes. This one has become a sort of cyber living room. It's way more open than most living rooms, but except for that, the reality is that people come into what has become a sort of "front room" for our life and our family. Pretty much, all and sundry are welcome to wander in and take part in the conversations here. We try to maintain a cordial and open venue for reasonable discussion. Considering that ours is a lifestyle and a family configuration that some unsuspecting visitors might find a little bit of a stretch, most folks behave like one would expect guests to behave. It is rare to find someone that comes in and behaves in a manner that betrays a total lack of breeding or class.

When that happens it is always tempting to respond in kind. For me it is hard to resist the urge to act with outrage when someone comes into my "living room" and acts like a hooligan. I have to remind myself that I am my Master's slave, and that my responses and my actions reflect not only on me but on Him.

So The Swan's Heart will remain a place where you'll read what is in my mind and my heart. You'll hear about what is happening in my life and our lives. You'll get my honest joy, my honest fears, my honest confusions, worries, and yes, my honest anger and outrage if that is the truth. You are welcome to come on in and join the conversation anytime you like. If you are a friend and we know your name, we'll always be glad to see you again. If you are someone new that we've yet to meet, I hope you'll introduce yourself and let us get to know you. If you want to act like an ill-mannered oaf, expect us to ignore you like a bug...

swan

5 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Oh yeah... and if you are a spammer with the intention of gaining a little free advertising from my place, expect me to delete whatever grafitti-like garbage you plaster all over my place the minute I find your mess here... Save us both the trouble and just don't bother.

swan

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear swan, thanks for letting me visit, I really do appreciate the privilege, you seem wise and compassionate to me, and you can spell. :-)
Please pass my hearty hear hear to your heart sister t for her last post, well I can't help being English.
Hugs to you and your wonderful family.

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS I've just noticed that today, September 4th, is Teachers day, have a good one swan. :-)

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Sue said...

paul, thank you. Isn't my Dear Sister-Heart simply fabulous? Especially when she's fierce? I can't imagine a luckier day than the one when she came into my life. You are, and will always be welcome here, as are so many others who have come into our lives because of The Swan's Heart...

Teacher's Day, eh? Hadn't heard of it. Thanks for sharing.

swan

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume that your wrath is directed against anonymous because he made the crack about your mind writing cheques that your ass can’t cover, or because he is a blatant spammer, or because of his politics. My vote is for the politics but that check-cashing bon mot was probably close enough to the mark to really piss you off. (Pedagogues please note: - That last sentence has really pissed my grammar checker off.)

The politics thing strikes very close to home. I’m Canadian and I had occasion to phone one of my closest friends last week. He is the ultimate Yankee. Silver Star and battlefield commission in Korea. Hard fought climb through the ranks to full bird colonel with another Silver Star along the way. We were friends and I have never given a damn about his politics. The message on his answering machine, however, staggered me. He signed off with instructions to whoever happened to call that they should go to church on Sunday and vote Republican. My outrage surprised me. U.S. and Canadian politics are not that different. In both countries the cleverest liars and most efficient thieves always rise to the top. Canada, however, is not big enough to do harm to anyone other than Canadians. There is also a basic cultural difference. Jingoistic Nationalism dominates all aspect of American life. It is preached from every pulpit. It is the basic school curriculum from kindergarten to doctorate. It is the central bias of every newspaper and media outlet. It forms the core of every history book. Admittedly, the monsters that presently threaten the entire world gained office by the slimmest of majorities but a vast number of people outside the US. despise the people of your country for allowing this scum to exist.

It saddens me that someone I admire and love is so besotted by the culture he was raised in that he can, so casually, support the destruction of the entire world.

To put it another way.. Youse guys scare the piss out of me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home