Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Thinking about Subspace

Malcolm asked about subspace --

"I wonder what is on the other side of that space? Do you ever feel like going there - if there is a "there"?"

I think it is terribly difficult to talk definitively about subspace. Those who have tried to describe the experience seem to have such widely divergent personal visceral reactions to it. I've read accounts by many, and wondered if we'd shared anything that was even remotely similar...

I've also heard the physiology and biochemistry explained in terms of adrenaline and endorphines and a whole cocktail of naturally occurring compounds that the body can generate in response to pain, stress, anxiety, fear, etc. I'm sure that physiology is, in part, responsible for the sensations that people report feeling as "subspace," but I am also convinced that there is more. If it were simply a matter of triggering the physiological response, then I'd have not experienced this long dry spell. Surely, we've played at intensity levels that were more than adequate to trigger the biochemistry.

Malcolm's question about "there," and "beyond there" intrigued me, because, although I use language that speaks of subspace as a place, that is really imprecise.

For me, at least, entering into subspace isn't about changing location in any sense. It is more about shifting perception. I don't leave or go *anywhere.* In fact, the subspace shift, really allows me, to "stay in a scene or session" in a way that is significant.

What changes, when I enter subspace is the way in which I perceive the sensation of pain, the sounds I hear, the temperature of the room, textures, distances, the passage of time... Surprisingly, it is not that my tolerance levels are increased, or that difficult sensations are lessened, so much as that my "mental distance" feels like it increases. Everything slows down and spreads out, brightens and sparkles more, is more shimmering and more lovely -- so that I can appreciate it, take it in, and process it more easily. It is as if my brain steps up to a level of functioning that keeps it from getting overwhelmed and swept away in the whirl of sensation and panic that can send it spinning out of control without the glow of subspace.

I am, suspecting, this week (as I think about it) that what has kept me from subspace for so long may have been another kind of perceptual shift -- or inability to make a perceptual shift.

I think that subspace puts one into a place of particular vulnerability, softened, quieted, observant but disinclined to take oneself out of the way of what is occurring. It comes when there is a willingness to trust, to be completely without any defenses. I don't think that perceptual shift is easily made when there is fear or anger. It may be that I have been holding out -- holding on to fear and anger that should have been put aside long ago. It hasn't been fair. Hasn't been conscious. Has hurt us both.

swan
Link

3 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger Lady Janon said...

HA, when is it ever JUST about sex?

This is great, swan, really interesting. I know I can look back and identify times when I, while not in subspace per se, experienced sex in an entirely different way than usual. I find myself outside of thought. I know a lot of times I'm meta-sexing. I think about what's going on, what's coming next. When those few special times have happened, I have been entirely outside of that and just sort of floating on wave after wave of emotion and sensation.

I love that, but it is rare and requires ultimate trust in your partner. Tough.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Sue said...

marriedman - it isn't like you pay your money and we perform for you. You get what you get here.

Her, Meta-sexing. Interesting concept. Would be interested to hear more.

erys, so many talk about subspace and I always wonder if we've had even remotely similar experiences... glad the words evoked something helpful or at least familiar for you and yours...

swan

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Sue said...

jewels -- I seem to be finding my way back to the experience of subspace after a long hiatus, and it seems different than it did before. When I was able to go there relatively "easily" in the time before, it seemed that the trigger was intense sensation and that came in our heavy scenes. Through the long period of time when it felt like I'd lost my way into it, I struggled with the why's of not being able to trip that trigger anymore, and assumed it was because we'd crossed some threshold that I simply couldn't accommodate anymore. I am not so sure that is true now that I am seeing what is happening here. I think I fell out of my comfort zone in terms of trust, and so was unable to let go sufficiently to allow the fall into subspace. What has restored the one, and so the other, is not entirely clear, but it does seem I've found the path again -- or we've found it together. I'm delighted. He seems "quiet." Intrigued at present, perhaps. We'll see where this goes.

swan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home