Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Idiosyncrasies -- Me?

Searabbit tagged the three of us. Wondering about idiosyncrasies in the Heron clan (like that isn't strange enough for all of you). It is ramping up to sincerely busy here and I expect the writing is going to get sparser pretty soon, but let me see if I can take a stab at the "swan" idiosyncrasies (or at least some of them):

1. I can fall asleep anywhere, anytime. Get me warm. Leave me quiet. Helps if I'm flat, but isn't a requirement. I sleep just fine sitting up. Once I'm out, there's no way to wake me up gently either -- stand back when you wake this one up because I'm going to come up with a start and probably swinging...

2. I'm cold. All the time. Need warm socks, warm sweat shirts, warm jammies, warm blankies... And of course I live with folks who are hot all the time -- who keep the air conditioning turned up and the heat turned down, and who kick the covers off or sleep on top of the blankets. I am doomed to freeze. It is the one serious, major, huge incompatibility in our relationship.

3. I drink expensive beer. My favorite is a Thai malt liquor called Sing Ha. It runs about $11.00 or $12.00 a six pack (more by the single bottle -- as in a restaurant) if you can get it. The supply is not very reliable. The good news is that I don't drink much. I'm likely to drink maybe one or maybe two a month... Not a cheap beer girl, but still a relatively cheap date...

4. I hate Christmas and all the stuff that goes with it. All the trimming. All the singing and present shopping and all the surprises and all the gatherings and parties and general happy happy stuff. It makes me nervous and jittery and jumpy and crabby. I become the Grinch. Makes me want to find a sunny beach somewhere and hang out and have a nice cabana boy bring me expensive beers... Of course, I live with Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus. Bah! Humbug!

5. I find I don't like rivers. Having spent most of my life in the Colorado Rockies where there are streams, that rush and leap over rocks and that are often narrow enough that a person can jump across them -- that are crystal clear and icy cold, I get creeped out by these big, wide, murky, slow moving, muddy, flat-land rivers. They scare me with their propensity for flooding from storms that happen hundreds of miles away. They seem to harbor ghosts in their swampy bottom lands and their swampy bottom ghosts seem to like to catch onto my spirit and tag along with me just for fun. Ick!!!

I'm sure the spice could list dozens of other "endearing" qualities that they think are weird and quirky... but that's probably enough for now...

Will leave this open for Master and T to finish up their lists...

swan
Link

4 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs* what a fun read! thanks :)

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger danae said...

I was going to say the same thing Jewels did and reading Jewels comment boy could I relate I sometimes have been known to pop a Christmas cd during the middle of the summer. I also decorate, bake and sing!

But I can totally relate to you being cold all the time and living with people who are hot! that is how it is here!

I did not know you were from Colorado!

So cool to read things like this as you get to know people in ways you wouldn't without these little memes. :)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Ahhhhhh... Figures I'd have fallen in with a whole passel of Christmas fiends all gathered around the tree in the middle of Whoville, holding hands and singing "Abu Dore, Abu Dore -- Welcome Christmas, Christmas Day!!!" Sheesh!!! Giggle... Seems my lot in life to fall in love with Who-ish folk... Oh well, endearing sorts, if you can find enough expensive beer.

Yes, danae -- I am a Colorado girl. Ripped from my mountains by the command of The Heretic. He said, "Come..." and so I sold my home and left my job and my kids and my mountains... Likely, I'll never live again amid the peaks and the clear, rushing streams -- it's flatlands for me, I suspect from here on out... There are lovely things here, surely -- but muddy rivers are not one of the things that charm my soul.

swan

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger danae said...

swan, I like to say Master captured me and moved me from Ohio to Colorado to be with him. So, just the opposite for you from Colorado to Ohio! I love Colorado. As a young girl I would come to summer came in Colorado and would say someday I will live here and sure enough I am living here now. :)

LOL stuck among who-ish folk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home