Friday, September 02, 2005

Words... At the end of a Week

Let me be clear.
Our family is well. Living in the midwest, we are dry, safe, secure. We've watched and listened to the reports from the Gulf coast with ever growing horror and disbelief and fury. How can such misery go on and on in a major US city -- unchecked? How can our so-called "leadership" allow the appalling lack of any sort of response to even the most basic needs for relief continue? We are in the hands of madmen. In the hands of fools so far removed from reality that it is utterly frightening. I sincerely wonder if the tremors set off by the devastation of Katrina may not rock us all in ways as yet unforseen. We've no one with any clue about how to steer this boat...

Tuesday night was the appointed night for my face-off with those who were gunning for me in the parent community at school. After weeks of preparation, I made a one-hour presentation to explain the junior high mathematics program in it's entirety -- its basis in terms of the graded course of study, its foundation in terms of theoretical research and NCTM standards, its compliance with state and district standards, and the accommodations that I make to meet the needs of students of different learning styles and needs. Every family was supplied with a 39-page packet of informational materials. I took questions from the group for as long as anyone wanted to ask. The group of people who have been passing rumors and spreading gossip; those who have been most vociferous in their complaints, did not bother to attend. However, the larger percentage of my students' parents, who did come that night seemed pleased with what they heard, and were supportive. Now we'll see if the rabble rousers will go back to their caves...

Cleo, the wonder cat -- my old lady feline companion, who is about 14-1/2 years old, is terribly ill. I suspect that she is likely suffering from kidney failure. She's basically quit eating anything except a bit of turkey. Not drinking anything. Mostly just sleeping. I was there the morning she was born. She's been companion in my world for a lot of years. I know that a vet would likely force fluids, perhaps suggest dialysis, charge a lot of money, scare her half out of her wits, and make her utterly miserable. At this point, my sense is that she is not uncomfortable, she is peaceful, she feels safe and loved. Mostly, she is sleeping. I am feeling sad, but hoping, that if it is time for her to go on her way, that she finds her way easily...

There was an anonymous commenter to my last post that said that I might be letting my mind write checks my butt couldn't cash. Suggesting that perhaps a bandaid over the damaged spot on my butt would be prudent. If it were that simple, we'd have done that. Duh. We've shredded bandaids by the score trying to protect that spot. Tried covering it in a variety of ways. I've tried to support that skin with any number of creams and potions, purchased at every sort of pharmacy and health food store. Some scene folks talk about a condition called "leather butt." It implies, to some, a condition where the skin becomes tough and insensitive. Others consider it to be more like what I have experienced, a sort of thinning or brittleness that makes for an area of particular weakness. One solution that works to some degree is to spank over clothing... That can reduce the chances of that skin breaking, but has other drawbacks -- He can't see what He's hitting, and that has risks too. In reality, the fact that it bleeds isn't particularly painful from my perspective. It is "messy." It requires a level of aftercare. It is a reality that we deal with.

And then there was Loki, suggesting that He was surprised that I hadn't already known that ... What? I'm not exactly sure what it is I might already have known. I suspect that what I ought to have known was that I should have told Master of my need, sooner, more clearly, more definitively. Not let it get to the place where I was feeling so lost, so cut off, so adrift... That it was my responsibility to make that situation clear, not wait for it to become known somehow...
It is a reasonable suggestion. A reasonable expectation. An expectation that Master, Himself has of me.
There is a delicate balance that one who is slave maintains, and I think it is complicated to explain, even complicated to understand for the one who attempts to keep the balance. I know that my needs are important to Master, that He wants to know what they are. At the same time, I understand that it is not my place to make demands, to drive our play or our D/s. The pacing, the style, the nature and enactment of that is His to define and determine. With the levels of stress that were so much a part of our lives in the months leading up to the knee surgery, it was easy to let the active D/s become more and more quiessent, and chalk it up to stress, or take the blame for the fall off because of my own emotional volatility. It was easy to tell myself that it was being put on hold until things were more "normal." I told myself that He knew what my needs were and that to reiterate that to Him was to "nag" in a way that was inappropriate for a slave. So, Loki, it wasn't really that I didn't "know" so much as that I put what I knew in abeyance for the time being because it simply couldn't be made to make sense...

We've got three glorious days off. A soccer game tomorrow for the lone remaining "kid," but other than that, a relatively light schedule. Perhaps there will be time for some sincere hedonistic stuff. That would be just good for us all...

swan

8 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The devastation of Katrina is the worst natural disaster this country has ever experianced. It is a thousand times worse than anything before it. Over 90,000 square miles of our country has been devistated. Millions of people are displaced with homes destroyed or damaged. This will not be fixed quickly. Your ignorant rant attacking the political leadership of our country is both stupid and offencive.

My suggestion about the band-aid was sincere if not usefull, duh. Loki was pointing that out and did not deserve your rath anymore than I did. My concern about the possibility that you are pushing yourself beyond your present capasity was also sincere.

I was sorry to hear about Cleo. Not long ago I was in the same situation. My long-time frind got sick and had to be put to sleep. It was very hard and I still miss her.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not being a citizen of the USA I won't comment on her government, I have been puzzled why the richest nation in the world is being so slow to get organized.
I think that you are right in what you said, I know that you are neither ignorant nor in my mind offensive. A lot of the world's onlookers are wondering what is going on in Washington DC.
The thing about loving beings with much shorter life spans than humans, is that we are going to lose them, I have dogs and cats and have had dogs and cats all my life. It hurts so much when they die, but we know that we have done our best for them and we have our memories.
Sounds like you've sorted your problem at school, I hope that it stops the mouthy ones.
Otherwise you seem to be sorting your life, this is good to hear.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Sue said...

jewels --
I wasn't at all upset about Loki's comment. Only trying to interpret it and somehow respond.
I think that, had that interpretation been correct, his point would have been well taken. I certainly did not find it at all hurtful or offensive. I continually check to see if I am finding the appropriate balance between communicating what I'm feeling and needing with noticing what He is managing/needing/wanting. It seems simple enough on the face of it -- just tell everything as openly and honestly as you can, but just spilling your guts in the moment can turn manipulative if one is not conscious. Developing a habit of continual outpouring of "I want-ism" is not necessarily a positive thing, even if we label it as honest communication. I appreciated the opportunity for introspection that Loki's question created even if the question was intended otherwise. So tell him to relax, and I hope the move goes well.

Hugs, swan

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Paul, thank you. I too have had "critters," both dogs and cats, all my life. This little lady is a sweetie and I shall miss her dearly. This morning she seems a bit better, so who knows? Perhaps she will stay a bit longer -- it is hard to tell.
The school situation is so odd. The kids are a joy and each day is a wonder. I had a comment from one parent yesterday that brought me to tears -- her daughter, who has significant learning issues now likes coming to school because, although she has never understood math and has always hated it, she "gets it" now because I make it make sense for her. This mom thinks I'm a miracle worker and she thinks the nay-sayers are nuts. What can I say? I go in and focus on my kids and I teach. And will.
Beyond all that, I live and love. And shake my head at those who are so awfully full of hate and bitterness and ugliness...

I so appreciate your presence here.

swan

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loki, Swan is neither stupid or offensive as a person. Her rant was both. This disaster involves an area of devistation the size of Great Briton, but it is not just the wind and rain dammage, we also have a major american city that is 80% underwater. It should be small wonder that this will not be solved in 60 minutes including commercials.

That you do not like my disagreeing with part of what Swan said while not attaching some phony name to my comments is snobery. Whether you or anyone else agrees, disagrees, or ignores what I might say should be based on what I say not on who I am. You chose to give a name on your posts. That is your choice. I do not. I respect your choice. Please respect mine. As to your dobt of my sinceraty, that is your problem. I could't care less.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Grumblin said...

a mathematician who can actually teach her subject in a clear and comprehensible manner???

*respect*

Maybe the gossips have a point though, Swan.. As a Maths teacher you *are* weird and an affront to established society..
Perish the thought of a maths teacher actually being able to teach ;)

But I'm really not surprised the gossip hardcore didn't bother to show up.. Can't have reality interfere with their fiction, after all.. That would ruin everything ;)

But I trust you're aware if the inverse law ruling gossip v/s truth on a subject.
As much as "Anonymous" is obviously unfamiliar with the linear relationship between anonymous trolling and functional illiteracy..

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Gabriel, we need not agree. That's never been the requirement. I've lived through the administrations of many presidents, some of whom I've vehemently disagreed with. I'm sure you can say the same. However, it has never been the case, as it is today in this country, that disagreement equates with a lack of patriotism. I am a liberal and a democrat and about as left-leaning as one might get without falling over. I am also a patriot. I love this country dearly; was raised by a WWII veteran, and a labor union oragnizer who instilled a love for political discourse in my soul. I am always bemused by those who support the current administration, but who cannot tolerate even the whisper of criticism leveled against it. Feel free to disagree with me. I am not so delicate or fragile that I won't engage in debate offered with integrity and earnestness. It is rudeness that is a problem here -- not honest difference of opinion. I've never, ever found you guilty of the former.

swan

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rumors that swirl around schools never fail to amaze me. My third grader had a teacher last year that *I* liked very well. I think she did right by my son. But, my goodness, some of the things that I heard (many of which I knew to be outright lies!) It must have been a very painful year for that teacher. My sympathies are with you.

Argh! I've tried to submit this comment six times. Now I'm going to try anonymous - but, this is *J*.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home