Monday, May 30, 2005

Migraine Headaches and M/s

I have migraine headaches. Have had them all my life, since I was just a little bitty thing. The earliest ones that I remember started when I was about 5 years old. I'd tell my parents that my neck hurt. They'd put me to bed, and I'd simply lie there in the dark and cry miserably from the awful pain. As I got older, the headaches got worse.

Migraine headaches are hard to explain to someone who has never experienced one. The pain is like a railroad spike driven deep into your temple while someone blares an air horn somewhere nearby and noxious odors fill the room which seems to spin crazily as the lights flash off and on in random strobing patterns that stab into the back of your eyeballs...

As an adult, I tried lots of different things to try and manage the headaches. I never did tolerate the various prescription medications that came along over the years. Almost all of them caused me to vomit violently. So I turned to biofeedback and massage therapy and color visualization and accupressure and Ann Lander's imfamous banana peel cure and anything else that I could find that might offer some relief. I watched my diet and my sleep patterns and I avoided all the myriad environmental triggers that I knew about. It got so that I lived my life around my headaches. Even so, eventually I was having 12 to 15 debilitating headaches a month -- headaches that literally sent me to bed moaning and crying from the pain and nausea that they caused. And then, in the summer of 2003, T heard about a new medication, called topamax, that was beginning to be prescribed for migraines.

Topamax was originally prescribed for certain types of epileptic seizures. During the clinical trials, researchers discovered that about 85% of those who were prescribed the medication for their epilepsy (if they also suffered from migraine headaches) became headache free. The improvement was so significant that topamax was soon being released, on a limited basis for migraine sufferers as well -- a medication that could be taken, on a prophylactic basis to actually prevent the occurence of the headaches rather than treat them AFTER they start. T thought I should ask my doctor about it, and so did Master. I made an appointment.

My very careful doctor insisted that I see a neurologist for the prescribing of this stuff and so I had a very thorough workup (including an MRI), but in September of 2003, I began taking topamax for the prevention of migraine headaches.

Now that's a lot of background, but there's a reason for all of that. Taking topamax is not an easy undertaking. It is a powerful drug. I had to titrate the dosages up 25 milligrams at a time, week-by-week, until I reached a therapeutic dosage (for me) of 100 milligrams. The stuff made me absolutely stupid. I got lost on the way to work. I couldn't think of more than one thing at a time which made the simplest operations awfully challenging. My feet and hands tingled. Things tasted strange and I was often mildly nauseated (a sort of on-going morning sickness style icky feeling), and there was an interesting sort of emotional volatility that tended to run toward violence. Almost all of the side-effects eventually worked themselves out, but many of them took about 8 months to completely subside, and everytime I would increase the dosage, the level of the intensity of the side-effects would ratchet up again. It was a rocky time.

Well, that was almost a year and a half ago and I've been almost migraine free for all that time. There has been an occasional break-through headache, but they are very rare. I hardly think about them anymore. Until the last couple of weeks that is...

In the last two weeks, I've had 3 headaches and one of them was severe... Just awful. I suspect it has to do with hormonal shifts related to peri-menopause, but whatever the cause, I've been pretty miserable. So, we talked and without really thinking about it too much, we decided that maybe I could just up my topamax dose by 25 mg/day. It seemed reasonable. So Friday night I took an extra pill and again on Saturday night.

By Sunday morning, I could hardly think my way through the process of making the pancakes for breakfast. I stood in my kitchen with an egg in my hand trying to remember how to separate an egg, and I began to be really scared. Then there was the business of clearing the table... A dirty plate in one hand and a used paper napkin in the other, and I didn't know what to do with either of them -- had myself in a human "do loop." T saw me, and said, Sue, can I help. That snapped me out of it, but I was starting to get really nerved out. Later in the afternoon, I was beginning to see pink clouds floating near the ceiling. Definitely time for a nap. Master decided we were going to back that dosage thing back down immediately at that point. Oh brother!!! I'd really forgotten how wicked this stuff can be.

This morning was better I guess. But there was the little matter of our "session." Topamax causes emotional volatility. I was mad. The whole idea of getting spanked this morning made me furious. I didn't want to do it. It simply seemed unfair and unreasonable, and I knew that I would do it anyway, that I had no good reason to say "no." And that made me mad too. I tried to talk to myself, in my head and reason myself through the fury. I knew it was the drug. But the rage was red hot. Finally, I told Him I needed the restraints. I told Him I was just angry and too mad to be sure I could control it myself. Both of us remember an incident from the first go round with topamax. I don't ever want to go there again. He strapped me up and I raged and roared as He paddled me soundly and well, then held me while I sobbed my fury into His arms.

The tides are calming tonight I think. But it has been a wild weekend.

swan
Link

10 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Malcolm, this was the extenuating circumstance sue referred to in her comment reponding to your suggesstion she be punished for negative self-talk.


I have in fact given sue some of her most serious whippings ever for self-denigration, but decided at this point that was not appropriate because of her topamax dosage fluctuation. Increases, while helpful in controlling headaches, have profound physical and emotional side-effects until the new dosage level is accomodated.

All the best:)

Tom

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Thank you, Love, for knowing this... for understanding and caring for me through the wildness and crazy, pink clouded, red raging, scariness of this. I am so glad to have found a mostly migraine free life because of your insistence that I go the distance with topamax the first time around (and it WAS awful in those early months). I would have never done it without your love and your support and your guidance. And thank you for knowing that, when I asked for the restraints this weekend, it was out of real need and real fear, and not out of some sort of "game-playing" or silly manipulation.

Yours always and all ways...

swan

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Algor Langeaux said...

I have been on nearly every migraine medication ever crafted, and have found all of them have long term effects that I tolerate just as badly as the migraines themselves. Presently, the only thing I do for them is a bit of alcohol - enough to take the edge of the pain off, but not make me drunk, stupid or out of control.

It's odd that Everclear actually has *fewer* side effects than most migraine meds...

*bleah*

I can most assuredly relate.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Malcolm said...

As usual , sue, here is my suggestion.

Then go here and type migraine in the search box.
After that, read my latest blog post. Rose is a beginner with EFT.

Thanks for the explanation, Tom.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

haille and abby thank you for your comments. It is fantastically rewarding to find out there are others out there with whom we have connected. I originally required Sue to start the Blog because she felt so isolated here. Before she came to us (almost three years ago right now) she was used to a vibrant thriving BDSM community in Denver. Cincinnati is a good sized city with many cosmopolitan assets, but progressiveness and acceptance of alternative lifestyles is not one of them. The few folks we've met around here with similar lifestyles just really didn't "click" with us.

The problem has been that most Blogs seem to be written by people who apparently always have nothing but glorious perfect sex and spankings and life that is just "happy happy" all the time. We are wildly happy together. But life is still life. We have our ups, downs, and challenges.

To know you are reading and appreciating our scribbles feels so good and validates the decision I made in having sue Blog. Thank you.

Hailee, sue's working on a post about our history. The shorthand answer is that sue and I first met on a DD Listserv called 1Household Discipline. T and I met on a blind date arranged by the woman who gave me BDSM technical training as I recounted in the Hertic's Opus post. There is much more history to describe, and perhaps we can even get T to jump in and tell her tale. We'd love to have her join us here.

BTW Abby, we'd love to hear more here or off Blog if your not comfortable writing about it in an open forum(Raheretic@cs.com), about your new family's coming together.

All the best everyone:)

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Wow!
Algor recommends Everclear. Welcome to Theswansheart, btw. I can never, ever stomach any kind of alcohol when the migraine monster grabs me. Immediate nausea ensues. Actually, that wasn't always true. I had some success "treating" with homebrewed apricot brandy in the party pool at Valley View Hot Springs on occasion when I could get there... but then much of what is "evil" and miserable about life tends to vanish in the waters at Valley View.

Malcolm recommends EFT (for literally everything, wink). I promise I will look at it when summer comes. I don't know what luck I'd have with the sort of migraines I get nowadays as they literally drop like a sledge hammer. I am reduced to babbling and drooling incompetence in very short order, but I'll check it out soon, Malcolm...

Haillie, welcome to our blog. So nice to have you. Thanks for reading. I'm curious what it is that is driving you to go through topamax withdrawal? Care to share?

swan

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Actually Haillie, fisting is technically possible for all women unless they have a tilted uterus. There is a book A Hand in the Bush, by Deborah Addington, on the techniques for vaginal fisting you might want to read if this is a practice you'd like to explore further. I've had relationships that featured vaginal fisting with sue and one other woman and in both cases they found it to be the ultimate in female sexual gratification. Sue has literally passed out (repeatedly) from the intensity of her orgasms when fisting.

Addington also taught me the technique of ritual cutting at a workshop at Ohio Leatherfest one year. Thus sue bears my initials on her left shoulder so that if she is ever lost, people will know how to return her to her owner:)

Sometime when there is more time sue's cutting is a story we shall have to share here.

All the best:)

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Malcolm said...

sue, hasn't your curiosity prompted you even to click the links I gave you yet?

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Malcolm, I've clicked them and looked briefly, but I've got 3 classes of kids to get out of school: report cards and awards and whatnot... a classroom full of stuff to pack up and put away for the summer... there were bills to get paid for our household... T leaves tomorrow night to travel to her neices high school graduation in Mighigan, and she's been ill with some awful yeast that has her all itchy... graduation is tonight... last night Tom was officially recognized as the new board president of one of the local organizations that he serves as a board member for, so I had to be there all bright and shiny and dressed up in my "girl" costume by 6PM and have Him there all clean AND pressed as well... I'm not being stubborn... I'm busier than a one-armed paper-hanger with hives just now. I'll look. I promise... NEXT week!!!

swan

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Malcolm said...

OK, OK sue. I'll be patient.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home