Thursday, May 26, 2005

Counting "Get Ups"

When the end of the school year draws near, the children anticipate the coming of the summer vacation... almost as much as their teachers do. Almost. Those of us who have worked, and planned, and chased after them, and struggled to stay ahead of them, and tried our darndest to understand them, and love them through all their many and varied moods and incarnations are, by now, just plain tired. Any teacher worth the name has left it all on the table at this point -- there isn't a whole lot left to give. I know our crew of middle school teachers (middle aged, all) is looking pretty "thin."

Years ago, a few weeks before the end of a school year, when I was outside supervising the gathering of the "hoarde" before school one morning, a bright, lovely, smiley first grade imp came bounding up to me, and declared to me that there were only 12 more get ups left. Since I barely had my eyes open at that early hour, I found myself a bit taken aback by this little bundle of energy, and had no clue what bit of wisdom she might intend to impart to me with her "oh so serious" face. As I talked to her, she explained that she hated getting up and getting dressed and that any day that she managed to get through that, she figured she'd gotten the worst of it out of the way. So, she didn't actually count days left of school, she counted get ups. Once she was up and dressed, that "get up" was handled and she crossed it off. So there were only 12 more "get ups" left. I have, ever since, taken Miss Katy's wisdom to heart. So, as of today, there are only 5 more get ups left this school year.

Believe me, this poor, old tired teacher is counting every single get up!!!

Thank you, Katy, Dear. Wherever you might be...

swan
Link

2 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger Malcolm said...

Alas, there are only eight more "lay-ins" before the next long series of "get-ups" for us, and the get-ups are earlier than they were last year.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Sue said...

I understand and empathize, Malcolm. One of the delights of doing what I do is this annual cycle of get-ups and "lay-ins" (thank you for that one). Few other professions have such annual cycles. I enjoy my breaks and really do need the down time to relax and refresh and rethink. I very seldom teach the same way two years in a row. Always there are things that I want to do differently or better next year. Summer is when I work that out -- after I recover some. Too, always I come back in late August, with renewed energy and eagerness for the presence of children in my world (at least so far that has been true). If it ever comes to the time when that does not occur, I guess I'll know it is time to hang it up. Best wishes for your remaining "lay-ins" and successful upcoming "get-ups" as well.

swan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home