Thursday, May 12, 2005

This one was Tough...

I think that people who do not live in D/s or M/s lifestyle relationships question whether it is even possible to do this full time. I understand the question. It is easy to see how outsiders might question how it is possible to incorporate the “stuff” of our kind of living into the day-to-day realities of life. To all those who are skeptical I can only say, we do it… we live it, stresses, strains, and all.

Of course, when the strains of “real” life appear, they tell in the M/s realm as well… We’ve been living life in the stress zone for a while, and cracks are beginning to appear. Master is tired. I am moody. T is ready to run away from home. We all need a vacation, and that is simply not in the cards. If anything, when we look out into the immediate future, there is more heavy and hard stuff coming down the line. We all know it. We all understand the necessity and inevitability for it all. We are all resigned and set for handling it. Still there are times when brave hearts falter and brave faces crumple, when tempers flare, and conflict arises. Each of us manages that in our own unique way. We are interesting personalities and the dynamics between us are reflective of our various temperaments and relational styles and preferences. T tends to avoid and smooth over conflict. I tend to manage it to a large degree – modulating and negotiating for a while, until I don’t… Master generally goes head on for the heart of the matter – or sometimes the jugular. When He and I clash, it can be titanic…

Between us, one of the most persistent raw spots is the pervasiveness of “media.” Master is, by my lights, a media addict. He wants, no – demands that there must be a television available in every room in the house, and radios as well. Our household computer is also (conveniently) located where one is in easy viewing proximity of the main room television. It is common for Him to turn on the television the moment His eyes open in the morning, and He is perfectly happy to fall asleep with it still blaring away at night. Both He and T seem to sleep undisturbed through whatever is on the tube or the radio (a behavior that I find utterly uncivilized)… On the other hand, He views me as a complete “Luddite” who would, left unchecked, throw all the evil TV’s, radios, and computers in the nearest pond and drown them all… That assessment isn’t too far off the mark. I seldom turn on a television on my own, and most of my radio listening is reserved for time alone in the car. Because of my hearing loss, I find the noise of such devices isolating. I cannot hear normal conversations when there is other noise in the room. So, I prefer it fairly quiet. Then too, I find most television programming just stupid and vapid. If I’m cleaning house, and I’m home alone, I may put something on the stereo and then sing along while I work.

If you’ve ever lived in close, intimate relationship with another person for more than a few weeks or months, you know that it is not the big stuff that gets you. Always, it is the seemingly little things. I believe this is true even in M/s relationships. For us, this TV thing is one of THOSE.

So, here we are living lives that have just been too intense for words. Illnesses, and aging parents, and work related demands that have pushed the envelope way beyond what is reasonable, and finances feeling sort of stretched some, and end of the school year exhaustion setting in, and…

As if that isn’t enough, we live in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Cincinnati Reds play baseball here. Anyone who follows baseball and lives in Cincinnati is subject to some sort of odd combination of slow torture and public humiliation mixed with just a hint of the taunt that maybe it could be different if only… It is worse than being a Cubs fan. Those poor fools know there is no hope. People in Cincinnati seem to have some insane belief that it might just be possible for this misbegotten bunch to pull it out, and there’s the rub. From opening day on, Master becomes possessed of a virulent mental illness. He knows it will make Him miserable, but still He watches Reds baseball on television, or, if the games are not televised, He listens on the radio. A lot of the time they just flat lose right from the start, and He yells and screams at the television through the whole game. It’s a party. But other times, they actually manage to lead going into the last inning. That’s when it gets really ugly, because we have a closing pitcher by the name of Danny Graves. Danny Graves will be the death of my Dear Master. Of this, I am certain. Danny is a nut case on the pitcher’s mound. He can blow a five or six run lead in the blink of an eye, and then complain when the fans boo him. He is the scariest thing in baseball. Why he continues to appear at the end of every game in which the Reds have a lead is a mystery to me, but there is the fact.

Well, anyway, last Sunday night the witch’s brew boiled over. Too much stress for too long, people worn down to a frazzle by all the forces working on them, a basic incompatibility ballooning in importance late at night when sleep-deprivation began to war against a looming early start to another intense work week, frustration and anger as another Danny-Graves-authored humiliation played out on the TV broadcast of another Reds game…

Master was listening to the ending of the game on the radio. Except He wasn’t really listening. He was sleeping and it was late. I’d been sleeping, fitfully, off and on, but the noise was keeping me from really being able to sleep soundly. So when I could tell that he was actually sleeping, I hoped to be able to turn the radio off. I made several moves in that direction, but each time He would wake up and growl at me. I’d settle in and try and wait. The game ended and I thought, “now we will be able to go to sleep,” but still the radio played on. Again He drifted off to sleep and I heard snoring, so I tried again, and again got growled at. By now, I was feeling really frustrated and increasingly angry. I was awake because of the radio – and He was asleep! Finally, I decided that if I wasn’t going to sleep, I might as well read. So I sat up, turned on a light and found a book. That, of course, woke Him up and made Him angry. He asked what I was doing and I told Him I couldn’t sleep and so was reading until it was time to sleep. Unfortunately, my frustration was clear in my voice, and He heard it loud and clear.

The battle was joined. He immediately was furious with me, declaring me unreasonable about television and radio. This in spite of the many, many nights I have stroked His back while He watched TV late at night with His head laid on my stomach until He drifted off to sleep, and I then had to struggle to reach the remote to turn off the TV long after He was dreaming and snoring… None of that made any difference. This time He was too worn, too stressed, too exhausted, too upset to care about the past. He declared that this was the last straw. Stated that He would not sleep with me anymore. Said that I was an insufferable bitch. I tried to back off and apologize, but He would have none of it. His fury was towering…

I knew that He would leave and go next door to T, and that she would be confused and upset by whatever story He would have to tell. Our late night rows often make her crazy. I was shaking and just devastated. It had only been a week or so since He’d threatened to strap me for questioning whether always meant always, and now He was saying He would no longer have me in His bed.

I slipped out from under the covers and went to the front bedroom of the house. It is a small room that we use primarily for storage. I found a small quilt there, wrapped up in it and sat in a corner on the floor. There, I sobbed silently in the darkness, not wanting to anger Him any further. I cried and cried and cried until there were no tears left. Eventually, I crumpled into a heap and fell asleep on the floor. Sometime early in the morning, around 3:30, He came and found me and took me back to bed. I was terribly cold and terribly hurt, but sad and sorrowful, I crawled back into His embrace. He said not a word. Simply pulled me into His arms and cradled me and we slept, fitfully until the alarm went off at 5:00 for school.

It took me until Wednesday to finally calm down enough to talk to Him about how hurt and scared I ‘d been. We talked about it and things are better and smoother now. M/s doesn’t make all the rough and bumpy places go away, and it doesn’t mean that we never disagree or that we never fight. It does mean that we hold onto and respect one another in very particular and specific ways even through the most difficult and heated and angry battles. I never considered ending our relationship and never considered leaving. I knew that as hurt as I was, it was His decision to come and call me back, and that I would stay on that floor until that happened. I knew that I had to give Him my pain and my anger and my fear over the whole episode in order for us to heal. That was my responsibility, and that ultimately it was my job to let it go back into His keeping. I did not have the choice to stay hurt and angry over it. There is much that is difficult in this life, but much to learn as well.

I am trying to learn.

swan

5 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger Malcolm said...

Kaylem, you think having the TV on all the time is what's best for someone who doesn't like it and has to lose sleep because of it? I thought the job of a Master was to attend to his sub's welfare, not to ride rough-shod over it.

I personally think that someone who insists on having the TV on so that other members of the family cannot sleep is selfish. Does Tom really think that he is looking after your interests, sue?

In our household, viewing TV is restricted for Claude to three hours maximum, two hours on Schooldays. That includes any time he may spend playing the computer. Rose doesn't watch much, neither do I; and if Rose is watching while I am sleeping, she will turn the volume very low so that I cannot hear it in the bedroom, which is only a few feet away. The radio is used very seldom, by Claude only, in his bedroom.

The successes and failures of all sports teams in the world are utterly irrelevant to my life. Beats me how anyone can be interested in Red Sox or Manchester United. But if someone is interested, why put that interest ahead of his family's welfare?

To me, silence is a valuable commodity. About 50 years ago I worked in a small electronics factory. I and one other man, David, tested and aligned the amplifiers as they came out of the assembly shop. A radio played in the workshop all day, as in many factories, for the distraction of the work force. I didn't care for David's choice of programme, so I negotiated with him that we would take it in turns, day by day, to decide what the radio would be tuned to. When my turn came, I turned it off. This was not what David was expecting, and he appealed to our boss, who supported my choice. David was so incensed he quit on the spot.

I regard having the TV or radio on all day as not merely uncivilised, but barbaric. But if it has to be on, it should be on so that it does not disturb the other members of the household, whatever status they may have. In my book, Masters take on the responsibility of a sub or slave in order to care for her and cherish her all the time.

If you find this comment out of place here, sue, please delete it.

Malcolm

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Sue said...

kaylem,
One of the most difficult things for me in writing this blog is to come here to write when things have been difficult, and the voice in my head sounds whiney and pissy even to me. There is, I think, a perception among some both inside the BDSM community and outside it that being a slave means that everything is easy and smooth and that we always agree with everything that our Masters ask of us. That may be the reality for some but it simply isn't the case for me. Becoming slave has meant making changes, growing in ways I never anticipated, giving up freedoms I once took for granted, and assuming responsibilities and constraints that I never ever would have considered before. That is the reality. This TV and radio thing is a concrete example of that. It represents a "loss," an "irritant," and a "constraint." There are, I am sure, plenty of other places just like it if I were to think about it. That is the reality of becoming "slave." One gives up those things that the Master deems necessary to give. On the other hand, I have gained what my Master has chosen to give to me... He has led me into a lifestyle which has brought me to almost migraine free living, to lose nearly 100 pounds, to increase my earning capacity by nearly $10,000 annually, to find a place to work in the community serving a population that has needs for support that are greater than any I ever considered, to discover my own sexuality at a point in my life where I believed I would never ever experience it fully, to stand in the face of my own family's rejection and be embraced by another set of relationships that give me great joy... I am far richer for all that I have given up in the course of my enslavement...

swan

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Malcolm, my friend, I appreciate that your concern for Sue is heart felt and based on a desire for her well-being. It is good to see others caring for her.

Among all the life stressors impacting us at the moment one is my present career status. I am presently working about 60 hours a week in a "political activist" role. It is work I love. It is rewarding. It is important. It is draining and stressful. When I come home, often at 9:00 PM or later, I am ready to eat and relax and find a way to decompress from the day before transisting to sleep. As unsophisticated and plebian as it may sound, I frequently find watching or listening to sporting events (there's little else besides news and political commentary on TV I enjoy) diverting. Usually this is two or three innings of a baseball game becasue that's frequently all that's left of a game by the time I'm free to listen to it.

sue, in large part due to her deafness in one ear, feels abandoned when she feels she is competeing for my attention with TV, radio, or the Internet. I know this. I also make sure there is one on one time for us, but there are times, like this week, when just getting through the week and hanging on until the weekend is about all we have energy for beyond life's pragmatic realities.

The nature of sue's and my M/s is that I am not ruled by sue's sense of abandonement. Nor do I, or will I, tolerate temper tantrums by her based on that. It was quite frankly only becasue I saw how hurt she felt by my anger over this, that I didn't physically discipline her. I think we've talked this incident, and our feelings, through and processed it and are moving on past it. sue's writing about it is part of this.

We are exposing our lives here the the good, bad, and mediocre. It can be edifying to read the myriad "typical" spanking blogs out there. I know I sometimes enjoy them. If readers are looking for continual stories of how wonderful being spanked with the lastest toy is, or how wonderful everything is in a M/s poly household, how everyday is a new peak experience, then likley they will not want to read here. We have our joys and erotic moments and victories too. Life is not all grim by any means. But we
(mostly sue) are putting it all out here.

By the way, I cannot imagine having so little to do that I could watch TV three hours a day.

Malcolm, I know your post was an expression of caring friendhsip. Thank you.

All the best:)

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Malcolm,
I do not find your comment out of place. You read here and obviously find our lives (and my writings about it all) of interest. What you choose to say about your reactions to that is fine with me. I write as honestly as I can about my/our lives. I understand that the way I choose to live is outside the mainstream. It is, by definition, alternative.

Consensual slavery is a very complex, very deliberate application of interpersonal power dynamics. You and I have touched upon my belief that all human interactions involve "negotiations" in our discussions on your blog. Tom and I simply choose to make those power dynamics a deliberate and primary part of our life together. For us, the "ownership" quality of our relationship came to be a reality that simply could not be denied. When it became clearly true, we chose to accept and acknowledge and live it as a formal reality. There are times when I squirm and rail and push against the confines of that reality. It is not always easy to live within the limits imposed by the wishes and desires of another person (particularly when those wishes run contrary to your own). I am a strong-willed and sometimes stubborn woman, and I do not always give in gracefully. No one ever said that this sort of lifestyle choice would be easy. It has its rewards.

I do think you are quick to assume that Tom fails in caring for me, Malcolm. While I might be happier to sleep in a dark and silent room; more content to have a home free of televisions and radios; likely to choose to live without so much "media," I knew that those things were likely to not be options if I chose to make my life with this particular man. I knew going in that He was crazy for all this stuff. None of that was a surprise. While it is true that on this particular night, my sleep was disturbed and disrupted, that was as much a function of my own upset and frustration as it was anything He did. He did not harm me in the imposition of His will. I chose to struggle against Him and in so doing, caused myself harm. Then, I fussed and fumed and muttered in my own head for two more days before I finally let it all go...more harm still.

I'm glad for your care and your obvious interest, Malcolm. You are welcome here anytime.

swan

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Malcolm said...

sue and Tom,

This morning I didn't feel so pissed off by Tom's attitude, and probably had I waited until now to comment I wouldn't have said all that in that way.

I'm very glad to hear all the positive ways in which Tom has helped you, sue. I only hope that one day Rose can say something like that about me! She is not, however, a very articulate person, so even if it is felt it will probably remain unsaid.

It is really refreshing that we can read what actually happens in a family rather than what the family member allows through a fine filter. We learn so much more that way. I often wish Rose would read your blog, and others, but reading English is not her strong point and it would take hours for her to read even a quarter of what I take in, and she has her own interests online anyway, which I want to encourage.

Thanks for your very friendly and forgiving words, both of you.

Malcolm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home