Friday, June 03, 2005

How we all met

Hailee asked, a little while back, how we all met. These last few days have been just packed, and I haven't had time to sit and put coherent words together to tell that story. Now though, there seem to be a few quiet moments, so maybe I'll find some time to do that --

Our family came together by "chance" seemingly (if you believe in chance). I don't think any of us really think it was that, looking back now, but at the time, that is what it seemed to be. We were many hundreds of miles apart, and had no knowledge of one another at all.

I lived in Denver, Colorado at the time we first "met." At that time, I'd been married for about 25 years or so to the man who was the father of my two children, and the only man I'd ever been sexually intimate with.

He and I had both been raised Catholic with the usual sort of sexually repressive upbringing, and when our natural adolescent urges met up with the Church injunction against artificial birth control, we found ourselves pregnant and married (in that order) very young. I was just 21 when our son was born, and almost 23 when our daughter followed. I knew very little about who I was when I married, and even less about him. It didn't take me long to figure out that I had sexual appetites that ranged toward what I thought of, at the time, as the "dark" side. It also became very clear, very quickly, that my young husband was not very sexually inventive or adventurous, or actually even "hungry." Over the years, I tried on many occasions to interest him in various kinky fantasies of mine but such overtures always played out badly, and I always ended up feeling dirty and humiliated in the end. Mostly, I just tried to ignore my urges. I had two young children to raise after all, and, as it turned out, my husband was not a terribly effective or reliable wage earner. So I went to college and got my degree, and worked my tail off in the oil and gas and minerals industry. Eventually, all that repressed sexual energy got converted into hard work and paid off in some pretty high powered corporate exectutive positions. But late at night, I'd still lie awake and wish that I had someone to whom I belonged, with whom I could be safe...

And then, one day, I sat down at my new home computer and typed "spanking" into the search engine. One of the things I found were websites and listserves dealing with something called "Domestic Discipline." I timidly showed those to my husband, and he didn't seem quite as weirded out by that idea as he had been with the kinkier stuff. Domestic Discipline was more "acceptable," more "sanitized" than the more garden variety SM I'd always fantasized about... He was willing to sort of accommodate it, although, to tell the truth, I was still doing most of the "driving." We began to participate in a list called 1Household Discipline (which has since gone inactive although the archives remain). I did most of the posting for us both. Later, we also posted at another list -- 1 Domestic Discipline.

Far away, Master was dealing with His own difficult and unhappy marriage. I'll let Him tell what He chooses to about those years, but suffice it to say that His lovely children are the best thing to come out of nearly 30 years of loneliness and frustration with someone who could not seem to love Him at even the most elemental level. Eventually, He went through a painful and devastating divorce which left Him depressed and on the verge of suicide. He has shared some of the story of His adventures with what He calls the "sport fucking" phase of post-divorce life, but eventually, a mutual friend introduced Him to T. That "blind date" turned out to be a gift for us all. They met, talked, and fell quite utterly in love.

Maybe, if we can talk her into it, T will tell some of her history leading to that moment. She'd banged around a lot. Spent time on the old Prodigy BDSM Global list. She'd been around and knew who and what she was and what she would and would not put up with. She had no illusions. She had just about given up on finding "the man of her dreams," and then there was Himself. He was a sad case when she found Him, but T is a bright soul and she soon had Him dragged back from the brink of despair.

And then she got sick. Terribly sick. Horribly, awfully, life-threateningly sick. The earliest inkling that I had of the two of them were occasional posts on the listserve from this terribly frightened and desperate sounding man. He would come home from the hospital late at night and write heart-wrenching posts about this lady that He loved. It would be so clear that the lady was desperately ill, and that there was very little hope for a recovery. I'd read the posts and feel helpless and wordless in the face of His terror and grief. All the usual outpourings of sympathy and support just seemed -- trivial and trite, and so I said nothing.

But, miraculously, one day, the news was better and so was she. Slowly, there was improvement and renewed health and healing. Where there had been no hope, there was dawning joy. His love moved from intensive care and then, finally, came home from the hospital, and got slowly better. Still, I mostly just read what He wrote without comment. He was so taken with another, much more experienced writer on the list, and I was so green and so new, and so overawed with it all.

One day, He posted something about His lady being His collared submissive. That touched off a flurry of stuff on the list. I read, fascinated, but couldn't glean the one basic piece of information that I lacked... Finally, I got up the courage to post the question that I feared would brand me as too naive to be taken seriously be anyone: "would you please explain to me what does it mean: collared submissive?" That simple question was the first direct communication between The Heretic and I. He was most gracious, and I think, delighted to be able to explain. From that moment on, we were wrapped up in ongoing conversation about all sorts of things. I was a willing pupil, and He was an eager teacher.

Eventually, as my husband and I decided to venture further into the realm of BDSM, it was natural to turn to The Heretic and T for guidance and mentoring. We wrote to them off list, asking if they would undertake to advise us. We had in mind that they might offer us a list of reading perhaps, or maybe some good websites we could visit, maybe even a local conference we could attend. Imagine our surprise when they suggested that we come join them for Ohio Leather Fest! EEEEKKKK! It was a 1200 mile drive on the weekend before school started. We said, "yes." I worked to get my classroom ready, piled into the car, drove all night, arrive about noon, slept for a couple hours, and then prepared to meet these "friends" from the Internet for our first ever BDSM conference, our first ever dungeon experience, MY first ever spanking by someone who wasn't my husband -- I was an absolute wild bundle of nerves.

We met them and we loved them. The conversation that started that weekend just never ever ended. We spent a very few, very wild hours at the conference. Too soon, we had to hit the road and drive home to Denver to be ready for the first day of school on Monday morning, but the die was cast. None of us could have guessed that it would lead to our polyamory, although we did talk about poly (in general terms) that weekend.

Soon we were in communication by email and IM and phone whenever we could be. We traveled to visit each other as often as our finances would allow. Talk, talk, talk... Our attachment grew, but Master and I avoided the admission to our deepening affection. We simply did not "go there."

He and T married in the summer of 2001. They planned a reception for September. We decided to travel to be there. And then 9/11 happened and grounded all the planes. Our plans looked like they would be cancelled, but by 9/21, we were together and celebrating with our friends. Late at night, after all the partiers had gone to bed or headed home, He and I sat up on the living room sofa still talking into the wee hours of the morning... Suddenly He looked at me from the far end of the couch and declared, "I love you." My heart stood still in that moment... They were words I thought I would never hear and I was in heaven. He claims I lit up like a Christmas tree. I only know that I was thrilled and overjoyed and absolutely without a clue as to what we would do next. We were, after all, both married... Sigh...

My husband claimed that he was thrilled and happy with it all, had seen it coming and knew it would all be wonderful... that we would just become one big, happy family and it would surely work out...

T was stunned and hurt and angry and well... You name it and she was it...

We had a lot of stuff to work out and wait out and figure out. The feelings we had for each other were not going to simply go away. And neither of us wanted to hurt T any further. We hadn't meant to cause hurt but weren't willing to say "no" to "us" either. We decided to wait.

In November, The Heretic and T moved from one apartment to another. And I was 1200 miles away and no help at all. What could I do? Finally, I hit upon the idea of calling a local caterer and ordering a meal sent to them. Not a "fast food" dinner, but a real homecooked meal... So I got on line and found a local caterer who made roast beef and mashed potatoes and green beans and dessert and salad and rolls... the whole deal... They delivered it to them on the last day of the weekend after they'd been moving all weekend and living on pizza and burgers. When they called me, T was practically in tears. That simple act, of sending real food, made such an impact... and turned the tide. I'd touched my sister's heart in a very real way. T started to say that she thought this whole idea of us becoming one family could maybe work. I've joked ever since that if I'd known, I'd have sent roast beef a whole lot sooner.

Meanwhile, my husband continued to claim that all was well...

We planned to get together at New Year's to make plans. At that time, sitting in the apartment in Cincinnati, we decided we'd move together and try and become a family. And so the decision was made. Still, we hadn't set a date. We got on the plane and headed back to Denver once more, this time, with lots and lots of work ahead of us.

Not long after that, I was IM'ing with The Heretic, explaining how much there was to do before we could actually make the move -- a house to be sold, household goods to be sorted through, and jobs to be given up on one end and found on the other, and so much planning to do. I suggested that perhaps we could be in Cincinnati in two years. The heat coming through my screen was palpable... "Do you think we will live forever? Get here this summer!" He commanded. It was my first real taste of how things would be between us. There would be no hesitation on His part with me. He knew what and who I was in His life and He would have no foolishness about it. And so it came about that the house went on the market in March and was sold and we quit jobs and said goodbye and moved, arriving here in June, one day after school finished in Denver. Master, indeed.

There were ups and downs and adjustments in our first year or so. Coming together as a family was joyous and tumultuous. My husband, it turned out, was not entirely honest in his support for the whole "poly" thing. In fact, through all of our lives together, dishonesty had been a hallmark of his relational style. Not his fault, really -- there are "issues," but in our new, high-intensity, poly household, the stresses became intense and he "cracked." Eventually, in spite of a lot of effort, we couldn't hold on to him. There is some poly community wisdom that says that poly math often means that 2+2=3. For us that turned out to be true. So we are a triad and not a quad. It could be said that was a result of the poly, but I don't really believe that. I think that the poly made the necessity of that clear. It probably should have happened sooner, but we do what we can when the time becomes right.

I'm not sure it that answers the question asked. It is the best I can do this day I think.

swan

5 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I will never forget that moment.....the first time I told sue I loved her. It was the night of T's and my wedding reception for god's sake. And sue and her husband had just flown in from Denver to be present for our reception as our dear freinds. I loved and love T more than anything in my life. But too, I had developed another love. I loved sue. Now, I understand the "love paradigm" we are all indoctrinated to believe: if you are in love, you must love only one, and if you love another, you love that one less. There can be no more than one love and one only. Blah, Blah, Blah.... for some of us, loving more than one enhances the love exponentially for all. More love makes more love. We are polyamorists.

Anyway, I'll finish philosophizing and get back to my story. T had gone to bed. Sue's husband had gone to bed. I was sitting on the couch talking with sue. I'd been feeling fireworks for her emotionally, and intellectually, and sexually for a couple of years. I was aware of polyamory in terms of having multiple BDSM play partners, but not in terms of real life serious committed love relationships. I really didn't even intend to propose that. I wasn't that rational. I was driven to tell her what was in my heart. My internal monlogue was like this, "I am so hopelessly in love with this woman, I have to tell her. No, what the fuck are you doing??? This is the night of your wedding reception, and your new wife, whom you love, is right up the hall. How can you do this? Sue is married. You care deeply for her husband. She will likely slap your face, and end your friendship, and a beautiful relationship will end, and T will be devastated to lose her friends, let alone learning that she has been betrayed in her three month old marriage."

I had to do it. I could not continue to have her not know how I felt. Staring into the abyss, I said, "I love you." I braced for the inevitable horrendous consequences. Sue gave me the most amazing smile...my god she glowed...she lit up like a Christmas tree...she told me she loved me back. I really don't know what happened after that. Did we hug and snuggle? Did we just talk? If so, I have no recollection of the conversation. All I knew was, my god, sue loved me back!!!!

I was thrilled. I was devastated. What could we do? I loved T too. You know that if a man loves two women one must have him and one must lose. And the women must hate each other. Everyone knows that. BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

It was rocky. T was hurt (DUH). Sue and I both loved her and were devastatedly guilty. Still we were in love. T and I were in love. T and I talked, sue and T talked, sue and I talked...We talked...daily via Internet and phone (Thank god for free long distance cell phone service). We met back and forth when we could.

We agreed to move to become a family. The greatest cheer leader of our new poly was sue's husband. He and I continually referred to each other as poly brothers. T and sue's bond grew to a point where they began to "share a brain" which they continue to do until this day. They seem to know each others thoughts and to sense when eiter of them is in distress. I've had several occassions where T has told me to contact sue because she was in distress. She was right. Sue's done the same in response to sensing distress in T. I think it's wierd. I've come to accept it. I don't question what is.

Yeah, I did develop the timeline for our being together. I'm 56. I know that things don't last forever. Having wasted most of my adult life in a horrible marriage, I wanted no more wasted time. I tend to make the world over into my vision of it. It is why I'm a CEO. It is why I'm a Dominant. I can't help it. It is a curse and a gift:)

I hated the break up of sue and her husband. We were devastated when we learned that his frequently expressed intention to make our new family work turned out to be untrue. It became clear, eventually, that the divorce needed to happen for them both. T and I were not part of the decision. I counseled against divorce. My divorce had been so devastating, I wanted nothing like that for sue or her husband. We did our best to facilitate as soft a landing as possible for him, but it has been tough for him we know. He is dealing with longstanding issues, and his career crashed the first year he was here, a reality from which he has not been able to recover professionally or economically.

My god how I've rambled on here. That magic moment when I opened my heart, and then opened my mouth to tell sue of my love for her, was the biggest risk of my life. It was jumping off a cliff and believing I could fly while knowing human flight was impossible. Imagine my amazement when I found myself in flight:) Imagine my joy when I was joined there by my loves:)

All the best:)

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks searabbit for reading here and commenting. I looked at your profile and I will refer our T to "Cooking for Master." Cooking is her great passion.....well one of them:) I'm sure she'll enjoy reading there.

All the best:)

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Malcolm said...

Tom, I'm so glad to read these accounts from both sue and you. Let's hope that we can hear from T one day soon. I let Rose read sue's account, she hasn't read yours yet but I will show it to her.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger W. S. Cross said...

My novel is about the dawnings of what is now called "poly," which in the 70s was a Brave New World. The protagonist goes through many of the issues you've identified, and I congratulate you on finding a way of integrating the three of you in one life.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

There's one part of this story that's been described and alluded to in our various descriptions of how we three came to be one, but it has never been specifically stated.

Teresa, accomodated a huge change in her life when Sue and my relationship evolved. That process was far from an easy time for her. It wasn't easy for any of us, but most of all not for her.

There is in polyamory a concept called "compersion." It is the opposite of jealousy. It is when one loves others so much, that he or she is fulfilled by the others happiness at being intimately, lovingly, happily together. It is a wonderful and highly evolved gift that I beleive only people who have achieved tremendous growth and development can experience.

If there is a saint of compersion it is Teresa. She has mangaed to take the hurt she felt when her new dream marriage suddenly evolved into polyamory, over time, and certainly not without hard work,into a love for everyone in our family and true compersion.

T you are so much my sweetiheart still and I love you mores and mores and I always will:)

Thank you for the gift of joy and renewed life you brought to me and give me still everyday.

Tom

We went confidently in the direction of our dreams. We've become the life we imagined.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home