Tuesday, October 04, 2005

What's it Worth When it's a Command?

I've been caught in an interesting sort of mental twist in terms of how things can be valued (or devalued) when I do them BECAUSE I am commanded to do them.

It seems a long time ago now that I read somewhere, in my early thirst for understanding of this life choice, that "when one sees a man and His slave, one truly sees only one man." I'm not sure where I found that, or I'd give proper credit. I remember thinking at the time that it was remarkable and profound to consider a unity of thinking and action between two people that might achieve such a level.

There are many things that I do, in my day to day living, that I would not necessarily choose to do, or initiate if it were left up to my own option. It is not. I am not my own person. I am His. When He commands, I do. I do not always like the things He commands. I do them anyway. Further, I do not announce which things that I do are of my volition and which are from Him. I simply do, to the best of my ability, and with as much integrity and faithfulfulness as I can.

This blog is like that. It is not of my choosing. It is from Him. Mostly. Especially when what comes up here is heavy, dark and deep. If it were my choice, such would never see the light of day. He commands me to share, to write, to expose and seek the companionship of others. That I do not preface every such piece with a disclaimer that says, "I am being told to write this..." does not make the communication less real or less honest or less me... witness the angst generated by my wallowing here a few weeks back.

Slavery is hard to explain when it is like this... What you see is only partly what you get. I cannot tell you exactly where the lines are; where what you are seeing is "me" and where what you are seeing is Him. I am shaped and formed and driven by what He would have me be. In ways large and small. Not brain-washed or beaten or incompetent as some would pose it, but owned and commanded. That may, in fact, devalue the truth of relating with and touching my life. You cannot have "me" without in some way having my slavery. You will be impacted by the FACT that I may be commanded to behave in a particular fashion, and that I may not specify the parameters of that behavior. If that feels less than genuine, less than real, less than valid...

I do not know how to reconcile that. I thought about that as I talked with the pharmacist last night on the phone (like a good girl). He didn't know I was calling him because I had to...

Sigh... How often does it happen? Everyday? I can't even think about it...

swan

8 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you're mine. I love you so much. You do so much to please me when it's fun exciting and easy, but also when it's not what you want. You honor my decisions when I've sought your input and you agree with the choices I make, and when you do not. You show your love for me unendingly. You love me and are mine when I thrill you and make you excited and laugh. You love me and are mine when you are angry and hurt by my behavior.

You join me in my life, and I am fulfilled, and you find fulfillment for yourself in the process.

You are magic. as has been the intersection of our lives.

When you are judged by people who have different lifestyles than ours, and who somehow need for everyone to be more like them, (what a friend of ours recently called the whipped cream people......basically vanilla but with a little extra whipping thrown in,) you clarify what it is that we are, and what that means to you, and you decide to continue as mine.

You love my wife as your sister and share your life with her as your spirit mate.

You are.....

Mine always and all ways:)

I love you,

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swan I don't think anyone has the right to judge, unless of course they're living in your skin.
We are largely formed by the life choices we make.
I am impressed by what I read of the three of you, it seems to me that you have something valuable growing there, pain there will be, doubts of course, you are after all pioneers of a sort, love definitely, any ground where love can grow cannot be wrong.
I wish you and yours swan, the strength to continue to grow and love.
Hugs,
Paul.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger 'nilla said...

thanks Raheretic, for you comment. I think you just showed me the gold standard of what I want my relationship to look like. Dayum if I don't have a long way to go, but your words provided a very clear guide.

and Swan, you are one remarkable lady. I'll continue to sit over here in the shadows and read and learn. Thanks to you both.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Lady Janon said...

To me, that's like saying if you ask for something from your partner it means less than if he/she just "knew" to do it for you (think in terms of romance, or sex, or simple favors).

That's silly. Just because the catalyst was different, the intent is still yours. There is still no gun to your head (maybe a paddle lol), you are still a free choosing person. That has meaning even in a M/s situation--maybe ESPECIALLY in an M/s situation.

Hm, did that make sense?

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Her...I don't think the issue is that *I* value it less or that He does. Where I've been caught lately is that others have found things I do BECAUSE I am commanded to do them somehow less valid or less "real." This I find hard to then reconcile...

swan

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Lady Janon said...

Well, I hear that! I don't think this is isolated to slavery though--communication/intent issues run deep in humankind all around.

eh, not like I'm some sage or something, just worked with a lot of people in my day!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Sue said...

good advice, erys. I have been pulled too many ways by too many who have no right to be pulling. My fault for giving them handles that they shouldn't have...

swan

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Algor Langeaux said...

When a slave (who has entered service willingly) is commanded, they do what they do for exactly the same reason that anyone else would choose to do something for someone, such as buy someone a birthday present...

...because of love.

The bigger difference is that in this case its not something that one simply throws money at, and that it happens more often than once a year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home