Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The New Knee


We've been very busy and not here much. We got Master and His new knee home from the hospital on Monday afternoon, and it has been a whirl of activity ever since: nurses and therapists and just the business of getting Him up and down and taken care of has kept us occupied through just about every waking hour. Add to that the fact that we are all just worn to a frazzle...

With that all said, the good news is that He is doing spectacularly well, making excellent progress in terms of His general well-being and His therapy. The goals set by the physical therapy team were that He be able to flex the knee to 90 degrees by the end of the first week post-surgically. Today, on day five, He achieved 96 degrees of flexion. He is regaining strength and control and flexibility at a remarkable pace. We are all thrilled. Today for the first time since the surgery, His temperature is near normal. Swelling continues to be an issue, but we are working on that. Each day is better. Give us some time and we'll hopefully be back here posting about our more mundane M/s life again.

Here's a picture of the actual critter if you are "into" staple play. The incision is just under 6" which is significantly less than it would have been with the more traditional knee replacement surgery...


swan

4 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to see Nurse Swan's and Nurse T's patient doing so well!

Looks sore. But I'm glad he's progressing so rapidly.

Kudos to you all.

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news, swan and T, love is, and always will be the best medicine.
Hopefully things will continue to improve for Himself as quickly as is safe.
Remember to take care of yourselves also. Paul

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi all, and thanks for the wonderful supportive comments so many of you have made. I've not yet found a very comfortable way to tolerate being around here since my surgery. I have a number of things I want to respond to when I am able.

I'm not using crutches but rather a walker. I'm being aggressive in driving my PT and fortunately the PT I'm working is equally willing to "go for it." She tells me I'm about a week ahead of schedule in my rehab*(that is 6 days out from surgery:). That being the case, I may be able to evolve to using a cane in a week or so. The downside is that pushing rehab at a faster pace is much more painful, so I am having to tolerate more side effects from heavier levels of pain meds. Everything's a trade off:)

Thank you all again for your support and for the interesting discussion here.

All the best:)

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Malcolm said...

Tom, I know you're a pusher by nature but try to learn from this to push GENTLY! You'll put less burden on your two carers that way, too.

Interesting to see the photo, how small the incision is to do all that work inside.

And thanks to all of you for keeping us nosey Parkers up to date on what's happening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home