Saturday, July 02, 2005

Happy Birthday America

As the Fourth of July commemoration of the U. S. Declaration of Independence approaches, I'd like to express a message of great sadness as the civil rights of most Americans are being actively eroded, we bankrupt our nation's econocmy, and look like inept bufoons to the rest of the world, for prosecuting an unprovoked war of agression against a pathetic enemy who is likely to beat us eventually as badly as did the Viet Namese.

At the Fourth of July this year, as increasingly a state religion appears to likley become the basis of U. S. law, social policy, and foreign policy I look with pride to my heritage and my friends from Canada who have just enacted Federal law legalizing same sex marriage throughout their democracy. I wonder when Americans will be able to define their families as they choose rather than in line with an ancient mythos.

I hope if we fight and hang together and speak up and vote we can again someday be proud to live in a nation where people are free to choose their destiny regardless of religious precepts, and not as the nation that is the "Bully of Baghdad."

At the Fourth of July I sing, "Oh Canada, We Stand on Guard for Thee." You Canooks had better start beefing up your military though. As the Christian Right Wing Neo-cons continue to sweep our government, when they hear of your precipitous action and unbridled liberty, they may feel that to be far greater provocation than Iraq ever made against their religious doctrine.

Sadly,

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.
Link

4 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! As a Canadian neighbor I take great comfort knowing fifty percent of your country voted against the Bush administration. A strong sentiment here is we detest your administration and love the Americans.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger danae said...

Good post!

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not just Christians or some modern silliness. Through out time and through out all cultures marriage has always been seen as a union between man and woman. So drop the foul act against Christians. It was the same 2000 years ago in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia-- practically everywhere, the same 1000 years ago, 500.. and so on. Everywhere you look, all over the world, in most every culture, through out time that is how it has been.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My goodness, the last anonymous commentor could not have played into my hand better if I'd paid him/her or it to post this. (I really didn't post this.....This ignoramous really came here of his/her own accord, and I'm sure truly believes what he/she has posted to have some basis in fact.) I will not respond to this as a comment however. This warrants full Blog post status. I will now write and post the "Historical Origins of Modern Monogamy."

I adore debating with mainline Christians who have no more historical education than what they gained in Sunday school, or read in popular theological books they bought after church services over cofee and cookies, or that their clergy (also typically historically ignorant)have told them. They believe because they are Christian that anything they assert, no matter how baseless and ignorant, is irrefutable since after all they are quoting Christian theology as a factual base for their opinions. They do not understand that theology is extra-historicitous. It is myth. That is intellectualise for a "fairy tale." It is without factual basis except when occasionally history and theology randomly happen to coincide.

American Christian-bating is the consumate "low fruit" of intellectual discourse, and gives one such an opportunity to be a bully against those who have bullied the world for decades out of brainwashed ignorance, and who are having a particular field day at the moment reveling in the power to oppress anyone who does not choose to live or believe as they do, that the opportunity is too great to pass up.

I am not typically so disparaging of anyone who would choose to share their perspecitve here, no matter what I might think of their opinion, but when I receive such incendiary response to one of our posts from someone so imbued with "faith" that they are unwilling to disagree honestly enough to sign their post with even an Internet psuedonymn, then I feel it is likely I am dealing with someone of little character. It's clear for their post they are ignorant. I am Tolerant to a high degree. I've been frequently criticized in management for being "too tolerant." Even I reach my limit confronting ignorant, cowards.

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home