Saturday, January 08, 2005

A "fun" trip to Lowe's

I've needed to caulk the tile in my shower stall for a few weeks. Yup. Real life intrudes into the kinky stuff...

I knew that the best thing was to do it and then have a day or so when I/we didn't use the shower so that the new caulk could dry and "cure." There's a second shower in the other bathroom -- in the tub there, but it isn't as easy to get in and out of, and the Heretic's knees aren't all that good... But He was going out of town for a couple of days, so I figured I'd have a window of opportunity... get it done while He was gone. Perfect.

There were complications in this plan of course. To do this, I had to get the job done on the first night He was gone. That meant I had to buy the caulk after work and get it handled that night. Unfortunately, I also had a doctor's appointment scheduled after work, and a PTO meeting to attend later that same evening. EEEEEKKKKK! Talk about the need to be efficient with my time!

OK, no problem. The medical appointment wasn't until 5:20, and I wasn't due back at school for the PTO meeting until 7:00. I figured, I could hit the local Lowe's on the way home from school, find the caulk, grab a bite to eat, quickly do the caulk job, and still get it all done. Tah Dah!!!

So, I went wheeling into Lowe's parking lot and jumped out of my car and went tearing into the place like a wild woman. As I approached the door, the dread began to settle into the pit of my stomach. You see, I had this problem. Lowe's is huge. I had no earthly idea where the caulk would be, and I didn't have a whole lot of time to figure it out. My natural, introverted shyness was in full swing, and the idea that I would have to track someone down and strong arm them into helping me find the stuff was making me sweat. My past experiences with places like that have not been positive. In my former life, in my old, frumpy persona, nobody ever paid the least attention to me, and I could have wandered the aisles at Lowe's for the rest of my natural born life and no one would have paid the least bit of attention.

But this time was different.

You see, I'm not that old, frumpy, person any more. I forget that. I'm the swan. I walked in the place wearing my red, suede mini-skirt with the silver zipper that runs from hem to waist, knee-high, black, Harley Davidson, biker boots, and a v-neck, white, ribbed sweater. I stood, just inside the door, looking up at all the signs, wondering which way I should go -- for about a minute and a half (maybe), and friendly, helpful Lowe's guys came from every direction! Mercy!!!!

Wasn't long before one of those friendly, helpful Lowe's guys was walking WITH me to the caulk aisle, picking out just the stuff I needed, and walking me back up front to the cashier. It did cross my mind that if I played it just a little broader, the poor fellow might just come home and caulk my shower for me... Do you think? Nah!!!!

Part of me feels like I ought to be ashamed of myself. But, it was fun. I knew exactly what was happening and why, and I got a huge charge out of it. It is silly and superficial and wrong, but oh well, the world works that way, and this one time, it worked to my benefit. After a long hard day, that was going to be longer and harder still, for just a few minutes, it was fun to have someone notice and appreciate.

That red skirt... Priceless!

1 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Malcolm said...

I would love to have seen you, sue, in that outfit, and I'm so glad it worked a treat for you!

Malcolm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home